Vauxhall City Farm is on the hunt for an exceptional Gardener to lead on our Community Garden Project, and take responsibility for general garden maintenance around the farm.
Vauxhall City Farm is a registered charity governed by a board of Trustees and regulated by the Charity Commission for England and Wales. We deliver our mission through a range of educational, horticultural and recreational workshops, volunteering, guided tours, riding lessons and visitor experiences of an urban farm.
Vauxhall City Farm strives to be a diverse and inclusive workplace. We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Asian, or other minority backgrounds that are underrepresented on the farm.
Job Title: Gardener
Salary: £11 – £13 per hour
Contract Type: Fixed term contract for 6 months
Hours: 25 hours per week
Responsible To: Operations Manager
The Gardener will lead on Vauxhall City Farm’s Community Garden Project and be responsible for general gardening maintenance across the farm.
- Using plants, shrubs, and other vegetation to enhance the aesthetics and visitor experience in the Community Garden and throughout the farm.
- Growing vegetables for community participants to nurture and use to learn about the food production process, with the opportunity for participants to take vegetables away to continue the learning process by cooking produce at home.
- Encourage visitors to get involved in planting and mulching both onsite and at home by creating planters and window boxes to take away with them.
- Supervising and instructing garden volunteers, encouraging them to share knowledge with visitors
- Creating a multi-sensory experience for garden visitors, allowing them to touch, see, feel, and smell different plants and find out how they are grown.
- Facilitating and encouraging engagement amongst a diverse and inclusive local community group.
- Environmental sustainability – Local community learning, experiencing growing their own food, teaching them about nutrition, biodiversity and more.
- Community Engagement – Meaningful activity that increases the appreciation of nature to a diverse range of local groups.
- Social benefits – fun opportunities to connect with others and support general wellbeing.
- Educational – building new skills and knowledge that will support future volunteering, interests and learning for children and young people.
- The ideal candidate will have gardening qualifications and experience, with horticultural qualifications desirable.
- They will have experience in soft landscaping and a passion for the outdoors
- The candidate will also need demonstrable experience in project leadership and managing people.
How to apply:
To apply for the Gardener position please submit:
- CV 2 – maximum 2 sides of A4
- A covering letter (no more than 2 pages, minimum font size 11) letting us know:
- a) why you are interested in the role
- b) the skills and experience you will bring that align with the Job Description / Requirements.
- Email your CV & cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject heading: Gardener Vacancy
Closing Date: 23.59 on Wednesday 15th February 2023
Interviews will be on a rolling basis as applications are received.