Job Title: Farmyard & Livestock Coordinator x 2
Salary: Circa £22,000 annually, pro rata (full time equivalent)
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: 28 hours per week – some weekend work will be required and required overlap with the co-Farmyard & Livestock Coordinator
Responsible To: Operations Manager
Vauxhall City Farm is looking for two candidates, with suitable experience in animal care, and the ability to inspire and motivate sessional staff and volunteers in supporting the health and welfare of the Vauxhall City Farm animals.
• To ensure the health and wellbeing of all animals at Vauxhall City Farm, meeting all Animal Welfare criteria under DEFRA guidance, requirements of the local authority and ‘Five Freedoms’.
• To ensure routine health checks are carried out on a regular basis
• To administer injections/medication where relevant and call a vet if there are health concerns
• To be proactive in the buying and selling of stock, with approval from line manager
• To be proactive in implementing the livestock breeding programme, leading on lambing and kidding
• To ensure animals are mucked out on a regular basis, to limit disease and illness
• To work with the Operations Manager to develop, improve and maintain animal enclosures
• To ensure all animal records are kept up to date and are easily accessible
• To ensure all required licenses are kept up to date and criteria are met
• To ensure a standstill permit is in place and standstill periods are enforced
• To process and record all animal movement forms
• To monitor the re-homing of animals and ensure a record is kept
• To coordinate the livestock supplies, placing orders as appropriate to ensure a mix of animals in order to maximise welfare, visitor experience, educational opportunities and income generation.
Health and Safety
• To oversee volunteers and their training, ensuring they are fully aware of their responsibilities with regard to health and safety
• To be accountable for stocking the animal medical first aid box and safely disposing of out of date medicines
• To be responsible for the stock keeping and ordering of cleaning resources for the farmyard
• To ensure hand washing facilities are working, with soap and hand towels always available
• To be responsible for the Vet room and COSHH cupboard being locked at all times the farm
• To carry out a daily health and safety check of the farm, highlighting any potential hazards and recording this in the maintenance log and reporting it to line management
• To oversee a daily search across the paddocks, to ensure no harmful objects are accessible to animals
• To ensure vet and disposal contact details are easily accessible to all staff in case of emergency
Staff and Volunteer Management
• To review volunteer and work experience application forms, run inductions and oversee training on the farmyard
• To lead volunteers on the farmyard to complete animal husbandry tasks and ensure a safe environment
• To provide a morning briefing for all volunteers and sessional staff, to communicate the day’s activities and important information
• To create a farmyard rota (of volunteers and sessional staff) to ensure sufficient staffing cover to manage and care for the farm animals.
• To adhere to safeguarding responsibilities and report students who are absent to their school
• To deal with customer enquiries and queries
• To proactively engage with visitors, making them feel welcomed and have a safe experience
• To populate the information desk with volunteers, who greet all those who enter the site
• To manage Animal Boarding
• To facilitate ‘Meet and Greet’ experiences and ‘Farmer for a Day’ experiences
• To assist with Incubation Schemes, ensuring eggs are available for hatching period
• To assist with Mobile Farm enquiries, selecting animals to go out on events and keeping Mobile Farm documentation up to date
• To assist with self-guided tours, providing a Health and Safety briefing
• To provide invoice request forms to finance, for any services arranged
• To work closely with other staff to maximise volunteering and educational opportunities for people of all ages
• To assist the staff team with the planning and provision of educational workshops and events, including the annual Lambeth Country Show
• To work closely with the wider team to ensure an enjoyable experience for visitors.
• To supervise and assist volunteers and work experience participants.
• To ensure that Vauxhall City Farm meets all relevant statutory regulations in regard to farming
• To remain compliant and up to date with all Animal Welfare Regulations
• Be accountable for all compliance measures in regard to Health and Safety on the farm
• Be accountable for safeguarding of volunteers and students being supervised and report any concerns to line management
• To undertake any other duties required which are consistent with the responsibility of the post
• To assist across the farmyard as and when required, with reasonable request
• To participate in regular team meetings
• Minimum NVQ Level 3 or equivalent qualification in Animal Care/agriculture
• Demonstrable practical experience of working with livestock
• Experience of working with young people (desirable)
• Experience of Health and Safety, including risk assessments
• Good numeracy, literacy and IT skills with ability to keep accurate records
• Strong experience of managing/motivating volunteers
• Knowledge of safeguarding and equality and diversity.
• Excellent communication
• A positive team player
• Able to work weekends and flexible to the needs of the job
• Organised and efficient.
• Able to meet the physical requirements of the role
• Experience of working in a community /urban farm
• Qualified First Aider
• Full clean driving licence
How to apply:
To apply for the Farmyard and Livestock Coordinator position please submit:
• CV – maximum 2 sides of A4
• A covering letter (no more than 2 pages, minimum font size 11) letting us know:
a) why you are interested in the role
b) the skills and experience you will bring that align with the Job Description / Requirements.
• Email your CV & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Farmyard & Livestock Coordinator vacancy.
Closing Date: 11.59pm on Wednesday 8th February 2023
Interviews will be on a rolling basis as applications are received.
For full details, please download the Job Pack: Farmyard & Livestock Coordinator Job Pack
Questions? Please email: email@example.com